[Sipping] Comments on draft-ietf-sipping-ipv6-torture-tests-01.txt

"B, Nataraju" <bnataraju@sonusnet.com> Mon, 02 April 2007 07:10 UTC

Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 12:39:46 +0530
From: "B, Nataraju" <bnataraju@sonusnet.com>
To: vkg@alcatel-lucent.com, cboulton@ubiquitysoftware.com, RjS@estacado.net
Cc: sipping@ietf.org, Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>
Subject: [Sipping] Comments on draft-ietf-sipping-ipv6-torture-tests-01.txt

Hi All,

Here are few comments on the draft ipv6-torture-tests-01.txt.

1. Lets not allow IPV6 addresses with out [ & ], this is a deviation
from RFC 3261 also.
This would definitely lead to interoperability issues later.

		Snippet from rfc.3261

		IPv6reference  =  "[" IPv6address "]"
		Here "[" "]" means mandatory to have for this component

		Ref:
		IPv4address    =  1*3DIGIT "." 1*3DIGIT "." 1*3DIGIT "."
1*3DIGIT
		for instance we can't have IP address without . For an
IPv4 addresses

2. Replace all instances of umabiguous with unambiguous
Search for all the instances in the draft.

3. via-received not including delimiters [ & ] would make
implementations complex or why don't we make sure all IPv6 addresses
always accompany with delimiters [ & ]. This loop hole will definitely
lead to interoperability issues some time later....
	sec 4.5 of the draft ipv6-torture-tests-01.

Even though some implementations accept IPv6 addresses without [ ], that
is a deviation from standards, but that should not be the criteria to
allow IPv6 without [ ].

4.
Sec 4.5 param-2 of draft ipv6-torture-tests-01 is not valid with respect
to 3261
	hence let us remove this test case

   The OPTIONS request below contains an IPv6 address in the Via
   received parameter without the adorning "[" and "]".  This request is
   valid according to the grammar in RFC3261.

The above statement is a deviation from what is mentioned in 3261.

   Message Details: param-2

     OPTIONS sip:[2001:db8::10] SIP/2.0