RE: [SIPPING] question on draft-johnston-sipping-cc-conferencing -00.txt

"Even, Roni" <roni.even@polycom.co.il> Wed, 06 November 2002 08:04 UTC

From: "Even, Roni" <roni.even@polycom.co.il>
To: 'Michael Hammer' <mhammer@cisco.com>
Cc: sipping@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [SIPPING] question on draft-johnston-sipping-cc-conferencing -00.txt
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 09:20:09 +0200
Sender: sipping-admin@ietf.org

Michael,
When  you use a URI in the INVITE what will happen will depend on the
conference policy (look at Rosenberg framework draft) defined for this URI
by the conference server.
Conferencing application scenarios have some typical characteristics.

1. Meet Me per conference server - For this type of conference the user get
a URI that is a conferencing service URI, when an INVITE to this URI is
received by a conference service it acts according to its conference policy,
example behaviors are

1. 1. Start an IVR session, or connect to Operator, to get more information
- this is how some audio conferencing services work today. This mode can
support reserved conferences as well as ad-hoc conferences for UAs that only
support RFC3261

1.2. The Policy may cause an automatic conference create or join based on
the calling user. A conference can be defined earlier (provisioned or by
Web) with the participants information and the time for the conference. So
when a user sends an INVITE to the conference service URI the focus knows
based on the policy what to do with this user.

1.3 Create an ad-hoc conference and supply the conference ID using notify to
the calling user.

2. Meet Me per conference - The URI is a conference URI known to the user.
This may cause either a join or create and join. If you are worried about
having the same name twice or getting to it by mistake then you can add
password to the conference or other authentication mechanisms. This is very
common for reserved conferences or for general discussion rooms

3. Meet me per User - In this type each user gets a URI that he uses to call
the service. Based on the conference policy for this URI an action is
performed. This is also an available audio conferencing service where you
get a number to call that will create a conference. You get two passwords
one for you that you keep secret in order to start it and get some
privileges and the other you can give to the rest of the participants that
enables them to join. The passwords can be fixed or changed by some external
system.

What I am saying here is that the URI is a URI, the result cannot be known
by the URI but is based on the policy server and that is what happens in the
example when the first time the URI is used it creates the conference (Here
I mean that the conference can even be initiated, if reserved, at the
scheduled time before the first user joins for example to assign the needed
resources and because you get billed on it) the second one joins, concern
for security can be solved by authentication.

Roni Even
Polycom