RE: [Sipping] Re: Concrete examples forto draft-vanelburg-sipping-served-user-01.txt

<colin.pons@kpn.com> Fri, 10 August 2007 13:50 UTC

Subject: RE: [Sipping] Re: Concrete examples forto draft-vanelburg-sipping-served-user-01.txt
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:50:14 +0200
From: colin.pons@kpn.com
To: Miguel.Garcia@nsn.com
Cc: sipping@ietf.org

Miguel,

But by submitting such a draft to IETF you make it a SIPPING issue. In
fact by allowing such a parameter, SIPPING in my view would jeopardize
the end-to-end principle. The parameter would possibly adapt or modify
service behavior at SIP Proxy level (S-CSCF).

To be frank, this parameter looks to me as badly conceived as the
original 3GPP draft on the 'Communication Services Identifier'. My
problem with these sorts of activities is twofold. First is that 3GPP
thinks too much in the old circuit-switched paradigms. As representative
of a converged telco I do not see the need you refer to (as a neither do
for the original 3GPP draft on the 'communication service identifier').
Although, I admit Call Forwarding would be implemented differently if
you would do it using SIP, why not just do that instead of shoe-horning
old solutions into new architectures.

Secondly, the proposed parameter as well as the mentioned 'communication
service identifier' are attempts to correct for bad architectural
designs and implementations. As listed earlier in these thread SIP
intrinsically has the capabilities to deal with the use cases you refer
to. Just use them!

Colin Pons
Senior Architect
WO Innovation Management