Re: [Sipping] New draft on end system communication services

Xiaotao Wu <xiaotaow@cs.columbia.edu> Fri, 18 February 2005 15:00 UTC

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:47:57 -0500
From: Xiaotao Wu <xiaotaow@cs.columbia.edu>
To: Arjun Roychowdhury <arjunrc@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Sipping] New draft on end system communication services
Cc: iptel@ietf.org, sipping@ietf.org, "Henning G. Schulzrinne" <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Sender: sipping-bounces@ietf.org

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Arjun Roychowdhury wrote:

> Xiaotao/Henning,
>
> Thanks for the *excellent* draft. It effectively addresses a lot of
> CPL limitations. Even though your draft has the noble intent of
> end-devices, I can see B2BUA providers rubbing their hands in glee ;-)
>
> One quick comment: Is it at all possible to provide an interface using
> which a person creating a service  in LESS can do a database-dip to
> resolve a URI ?

Arjun,

Thanks for the comments!
Yes, we are thinking to extend CPL 'lookup' modifier.
Currently, the 'lookup' modifier has only one non-uri source --
'registration', or a uri-list. For proxy servers, that's usually enough,
but not enough for end systems. The 'lookup' modifier should be able to do
a database-dip to resolve a URI.

> Hardcoding URIs into scripts is often very limiting. To make it more
> general, it would be very useful if there was a way in which
> applications could 'intercept' the call flow of LESS for the only
> purpose of providing 'input' to the next stage.

In LESS, we defined a variable as 'action.last-action-result' to get the
return value of the last performed action. But usually, actions do not
return unpredictable values (so far, we only have UI:getinput to return
arbitrary values). For predictable action results, we use action
output (e.g., for 'call' action, it has 'accepted', 'busy' ... output) to
handle (branch) call decisions. This way, it's easier for static script
analysis, e.g., feature interaction handling when merging multiple scripts
into one for execution.

Thanks!

-Xiaotao