[Sipping] RE: DTLS-SRTP / ICE and gating/latching policy controls

"Fischer, Kai" <kai.fischer@siemens.com> Mon, 12 November 2007 10:30 UTC

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 11:30:42 +0100
From: "Fischer, Kai" <kai.fischer@siemens.com>
To: Brian Stucker <bstucker@nortel.com>, Eric Rescorla <ekr@networkresonance.com>, Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>, Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>, Francois Audet <audet@nortel.com>, "Fries, Steffen" <steffen.fries@siemens.com>, Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>, "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens.com>
Cc: sipping@ietf.org
Subject: [Sipping] RE: DTLS-SRTP / ICE and gating/latching policy controls

Hi Brian,
thanks for discussing this problem in your draft.
By reading the text I have missed some discussions about the problems
and requirements to the signaling channel  part of media based key
management resp. DTLS-SRTP. Draft-fischl-sipping-media-dtls-03 proposes
to transport the certificate fingerprint as attribute in SDP to identify
the key that will be presented during the DTLS handshake. Integrity
protection of the signaling channel is achieved by RFC 4474, i.e. a
signature is formed about some SIP header fields and the complete body.
Since middle boxes acting as NAT entities manipulate the m and c lines
within SDP, a signature created on the path before the middle box will
be broken. Consequently, this would lead to the requirement, that the
middle box acting as outbound proxy is capable to act as Authentication
Service a la RFC 4474.

In Figure 4 Step 4 I think that the port in the m-line should be 50000
since the inbound port in the relay is also 50000.

Kai

a-path-middleboxes-00.txt <http://www.ietf.org/internet->