Re: [Sipping] Re: I-DACTION:draft-camarillo-sipping-v6-transition -00.txt

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com> Wed, 16 February 2005 22:59 UTC

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:41:09 -0500
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
To: Francois Audet <audet@nortel.com>
Subject: Re: [Sipping] Re: I-DACTION:draft-camarillo-sipping-v6-transition -00.txt
Cc: 'sipping' <sipping@ietf.org>
Sender: sipping-bounces@ietf.org

Francois Audet wrote:
> Yeah, same here. Thanks for writing this. Very useful
> and timely.
>
> To expand a little further to what Paul was saying, it seems
> to me that we may have to expand the concept of dual stack
> support to more than just registration.
>
> In particular, I'm thinking of Contact in a non-REGISTER
> request such as INVITE. Alice probally needs to put both the
> IPv6 and the IPv4 contact (her proxy may support IPv6, but
> Bob may support only IPv4, and if we want the trapezoid to
> complete, it would then need both addresses).

My point about gruu was addressing this issue. It is already specified
that Contacts (in INVITE, its respone, etc.) need to be globally
routable. I think maybe we just need some further clarification about
what "globally routable" means - that it ought to include support for
both IPv4 and IPv6, which in turn means it has to have a dns name with
srv support. Then if the endpoint doesn't have such a thing itself, it
needs to get a gruu from its registrar.

Or one could take the alternative approach, that clients faced with an
IPv6 address they can't contact directly, must fall back on a dual stack
outbound proxy to help them.

> I'm thinking that Via could have a similar issue (or maybe it
> doesn't).

I don't think there are problems with Via. Aren't there some special
actions already specified, putting in two entries when switching between
v4 and v6?

	Paul