Re: [sixpac] charter proposal

Emil Ivov <emcho@sip-communicator.org> Fri, 12 November 2010 04:55 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 23:55:34 -0500
From: Emil Ivov <emcho@sip-communicator.org>
To: Peter Musgrave <peter.musgrave@magorcorp.com>
Cc: sixpac@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sixpac] charter proposal

На 11.11.10 18:18, Peter Musgrave написа:
> Hi,
>
> I agree avoiding configuration is good.

Just so that we are clear there is no misunderstanding: we aren't
talking about generic client configuration or provisioning. I guess
discovery is probably a better term.

SIP and XMPP have discovery mechanisms and I simply don't see why SIXPAC
shouldn't, especially given that it could entirely reuse the other two.
We just need to state that this how things should happen.

> The email analogy does not ring true for me. You need to ask about
> POP, IMAP etc. because these are different protocols.

The analogy was mostly between SMTP and POP or SMTP and IMAP. From a
user perspective there is absolutely no good reason to have to configure
one protocol for sending and another one for receiving mails since they
are only using a single service: e-mail.

> We do not have
> that issue here...both have AORs intended to be globally reachable.

The issue is: user A wants to connect to example.com using SIXPAC. A's
user agent needs to know what addresses it should connect to. As a
matter of fact it would almost go without saying that the most
reasonable way of doing so is to use each protocol's default mechanism.

What we are talking about is a mere reminder and possibly a suggestion
of using the same credentials. The whole thing is so natural that I am
at a complete loss as to why people are so worried about it.

Emil

=

=