Re: [Slim] Simultaneity requirement in draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language

Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Fri, 13 October 2017 12:42 UTC

To: slim@ietf.org
From: Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 14:41:56 +0200
Subject: Re: [Slim] Simultaneity requirement in draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language

Den 2017-10-13 kl. 13:40, skrev Randall Gellens:
> At 1:55 PM +0200 7/28/17, Gunnar Hellström wrote:
>
>>  Rereading draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language-13, I found a
>> couple of minor issues. I bring them up in separate mails.
>>
>>  1. The introduction says that we support request of simultaneous
>> text and voice, but that is excluded from the protocol.
>
> How can it be excluded?  This is supported by SIP and SDP.  An audio
> media stream plus a text media stream.
<GH> This is one of the shortcomings I have struggled all the time to
get acceptance for to amend. We do not have any difference in specifying
"I prefer strongly to receive both text and voice, both together are of
value to me" vs "I can accept to receive either text or voice, or both
if you want, you select."

The sentence in the intro indicated the first interpretation. Since we
lack a way to differentiate that from the second, I prefer that we have
a sentence aiming at the second interpretation. As seen at the end of
this mail I have in the proposed edits made a slight change so that it
aims at the second interpretation. I prefer to have that change made.

>>  This is the sentence:
>>
>>  "Another example would be a user who is able to
>>     speak but is deaf or hard-of-hearing and requires a voice stream
>> plus
>>     a text stream."
>>
>>  This looks as a need to specify that the user wants to receive both
>> voice and captions at the same time,
>
> I don't think it implies anything about captions. It says a voice
> stream plus a text stream.

<GH> Right. Call it text then.   But the "plus" indicates simultaneity,
and we have no way to indicate preference for simultaneity versus
selection among alternatives.  That is why I have drafted
draft-hellstrom-slim-modality-grouping-00

>>   but that is one of the requirements I have tried to convince the
>> group that we need, but it has not been accepted. We have said that
>> specifying language in the same direction in two media means that
>> they are alternatives to select from.
>>
>>  I suggest that the sentence is reworded to a case that is supported
>> by this change:
>>  "Another example would be a user who is able to
>>     speak but is deaf or hard-of-hearing and requires to send spoken
>> language in a voice stream and receive
>>     written language in a text stream."
<GH>I still think this is needed to make the intro true.