Re: [Slim] Collapse attribute syntax to one line in draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language

Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Thu, 01 June 2017 14:33 UTC

To: slim@ietf.org
From: Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2017 16:33:25 +0200
Subject: Re: [Slim] Collapse attribute syntax to one line in draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language

Den 2017-06-01 kl. 11:54, skrev Natasha Rooney:
> This seems sufficient given our previous conversations. q-values can
> be applied within further work (although I don’t see why ordering
> doesn’t do the job, works in web).
It is not feasible to change syntax by adding q-values in an extension.
That will cause interop problems, or complicated needs to negotiate
protocol version. So, we need to decide the syntax now and stick closely
to it.

Ordering is not sufficient because we have a need to set preferences
between different media.
Ordering only works within a media.

And, a minor drawback: ordering does not allow to specify a number of
languages in the same media with the same preference. One always will
look as if it is more preferred than another. - but I think we can live
with that.

Maybe the main question is: Will our own one-line syntax really be less
complex to parse than the Accept-Language syntax that we might be able
to find ready library routines for?
Adam Roach had views on complexity to parse different solutions. Maybe
you, Adam can have a view on this?

Regards

Gunnar