Agent Application Using SNMP++

"farooq.yousuf" <farooq.yousuf@cressoft.com.pk> Fri, 11 April 1997 05:19 UTC

Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 15:03:55 -0800
From: "farooq.yousuf" <farooq.yousuf@cressoft.com.pk>
To: snmpv3@tis.com, snmp@lists.psi.com, snmpv2@tis.com
Subject: Agent Application Using SNMP++
Sender: owner-snmpv3@ex.tis.com

     Hello,

     I have downloaded the document about SNMP++ revision 2.5f. I have
     studied it carefully and appreciate the work. But i have one
     confusion, that how can i write agent application using SNMP++ class
     libraries. For example,I have tried an example "Getting a single MIB
     variable" on windows NT without starting the SNMP service provided by
     NT. The application doesn't work b/c there is no agent application
     which respond to "get" request. Then i tried the same application by
     starting the SNMP service provided by windows NT. This time i get the
     variable requested, b/c that service (provided by windows NT) works as
     an "Agent" which respond to Manager"s request. Now my question is how
     can i write my own Agent application which runs on Agent and respond
     to manager's request. Whether SNMP++ can be used to write agent
     applications or one must start the SNMP service (provided by NT)
     before running the manager application.

     Please, reply me as soon as possible, i shall be very thankful to you.

     Thanx.