Re: [Softwires] Softwire interim meeting preliminary agenda

Wojciech Dec <wdec.ietf@gmail.com> Mon, 19 September 2011 14:32 UTC

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:35:02 +0200
From: Wojciech Dec <wdec.ietf@gmail.com>
To: Alain Durand <adurand@juniper.net>
Cc: "softwires@ietf.org list" <softwires@ietf.org>, Yong Cui <cuiyong@tsinghua.edu.cn>, "Ralph Droms (rdroms)" <rdroms@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] Softwire interim meeting preliminary agenda

Hello Alain,

I have some concerns regarding the proposed agenda:  There appear to be two
major classes of topics to be discussed A) The translate/encap approaches B)
The details of indexing algorithms, mapping, etc. Item B) deals in very
specific technical details - many of which we likely will spend time
discussing well beyond this meeting.
In contrast item A) deals with a different breed and higher level technical
detail (translate, encap) and moreover a good deal of SP operational
considerations. Having the technical deep dive on day 1 seems to be ok for
B, but less so for arriving at understanding A). IMO we would be better
served by understanding the motivation behind the approaches, and then the
technical detail of each. To do that, we would need the agenda to reflect
the motivations and the technical detail separately.

Regards,
Woj.