Re: [Softwires] [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-softwire-hs-framework-l2tpv2-10

Carlos Pignataro <cpignata@cisco.com> Sat, 13 December 2008 01:49 UTC

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 20:49:27 -0500
From: Carlos Pignataro <cpignata@cisco.com>
To: Black_David@emc.com
Cc: softwires@ietf.org, gen-art@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Softwires] [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-softwire-hs-framework-l2tpv2-10
Sender: softwires-bounces@ietf.org

David,

On 12/12/2008 8:02 PM, Black_David@emc.com said the following:
> Carlos,
>
> (1) AVP for softwire profile of L2TPv2.
>
> I can mostly agree with the following:
>
>> 2. The softwire application does not define any requirement over
> RFC2661
>>    (it does not differ, it's only a subset), and thus such signaling
> of
>>    the softwire profile would be solely informational.
>
> If a softwire profile implementation of L2TPv2 talks to a full
> RFC2661 implementation, the latter may be in for a few surprises
> courtesy of the subsetting.

Not really: the subset is on optional AVPs, on sending (i.e., out of the
RFC2661 optional AVPs, these are useful for softwire with the following
usage, don't send the rest); and additional guidance on how to use the
mandatory AVPs in the softwire context (i.e., for these RFC2661
mandatory AVPs, these values make sense for softwire). A full RFC2661
implementation should not choke.

> Would it be reasonable to define an informational AVP that the
> softwire profile implementation would send solely to inform its
> peer that the other end of the session is behaving according to
> the software profile?

I think the above + reason #1, minimize protocol changes to only when
it's necessary, weights much more given that there are informational
AVPs (orthogonal to softwire) that are defined for logging in a more
generic way and can be used to say "softwire here". There's also an
expectation that an end knows what it's trying to connect to as well. And...

> If the RFC2661 implementation logs that informational AVP (at
> least if debugging is turned on), that might be helpful to someone
> trying to figure out what's going on if a softwire profile
> implementation of L2TPv2 tries to talk to a full RFC2661
> implementation.

... the usage would be only for logging/debugging/troubleshooting
purposes and not for protocol states/decisions.

If you think it helps, and it's not redundant, we can add a paragraph
saying that the use of existing informational AVPs (or more generically
methods) used for logging is not prevented in the softwire context.

> (2) RFC 5405 and UDP.
>
>> We don't have strong feelings here one way of another, what do others
>> think? Maybe the middle ground is to cite RFC 5405 as an Informational
>> reference, just saying what you said (that "Section 3.1.3 of RFC 5405
>> specifies that for this case no additional congestion control is
>> required" followed (maybe) by ", and other considerations may apply" -
>> not MAY apply)?
>
> The version of that text with "other considerations may apply"
> for me. The one other possibly relevant topic that immediately
> comes to mind is the MTU.  Section 5.2.1 of your draft already
> covers the MTU reduction effects of the tunnel headers, and
> that's probably enough.

OK.

> Section 3.2 of RFC 5405 (on Message Size)
> would apply to UDP over an IP softwire, not the UDP encapsulation
> within the softwire (the latter manifests as the IP MTU of the
> softwire "link").

OK, a pointer to Section 8.1 of RFC2661 + Section 3.2 of RFC 5405, and
suggest the use of PMTUD?

Perhaps a new Section 5.1.4 with "Additional L2TPv2 Considerations",
describing these 2 issues ((1) and (2))? Or maybe (1), if included, fits
better in Section 9 (since the logging can happen outside l2tp as well)?

> The description of what is to be done about the remaining minor
> items is fine with me.

OK.

Thanks,

--Carlos.