[lamps] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-lamps-rfc6844bis-06: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 20 May 2019 20:40 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-lamps-rfc6844bis@ietf.org, Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>, lamps-chairs@ietf.org, housley@vigilsec.com, spasm@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 13:40:27 -0700
Subject: [lamps] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-lamps-rfc6844bis-06: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-lamps-rfc6844bis-06: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lamps-rfc6844bis/

COMMENT:

Thank you all for the work put into this document. I appreciate the section 7
about the differences with RFC 6844.

== COMMENTS ==

-- Section 2.2 --

"Domain Name: The label assigned to a node in the Domain Name System." AFAIK
RFC 1034 defines it differently "The domain name of a node is the list of the
labels on the path from the node to the root of the tree" Or are we talking
about different "domain names" ?

"Wildcard domain name": it would be interesting to define not only the syntax
but also the semantic do those wildcard domain names.

-- Section 3 --

While I am not a security expert, a TLD could add a CAA forcing all its FQDN to
either use the CA defined in the TLD CAA RRset or add a per FQDN CAA (which may
raise the bar for small not-so-managed domains which otherwise could have used
a cheap and easy CA such as letsencrypt). Is it really good to climb the DNS
tree up to the TLD? Just curious.

== NITS ==

-- Section 3 --

I would have preferred a recursive definition rather than an interative
algorithm but this is a matter of taste ;-)