Re: [lamps] [CMP Updates] Requesting a current CRL

Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com> Wed, 06 October 2021 16:23 UTC

From: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 12:22:46 -0400
Cc: "spasm@ietf.org" <spasm@ietf.org>, "david.von.oheimb@siemens.com" <david.von.oheimb@siemens.com>, "john.gray@entrust.com" <john.gray@entrust.com>
To: "Brockhaus, Hendrik" <hendrik.brockhaus@siemens.com>
Subject: Re: [lamps] [CMP Updates] Requesting a current CRL

RFC 4210 says:

5.3.19.6.  CRL

   This MAY be used by the client to get a copy of the latest CRL.

      GenMsg:    {id-it 6}, < absent >
      GenRep:    {id-it 6}, CertificateList

I think you are suggesting something like this for Option 1:

5.3.19.X.  Conditional CRL Retrieval

   This MAY be used by the client to get a copy of the latest CRL if a newer one is available.

      GenMsg:    {id-it TBD}, Time
      GenRep:    {id-it TBD}, CertificateList | < absent >

Where, Time is the thisUpdate of the most recent CRL known to the client.

If that is the suggestion, then Option 1 seems to follow the general design in RFC 4210.  See Section 5.3.19.1 as an example.

Russ