Re: [Speechsc] message-length clarification

Brett Gavagni <gavagni@us.ibm.com> Mon, 17 April 2006 14:39 UTC

To: Corby Anderson <corby@tellme.com>
Subject: Re: [Speechsc] message-length clarification
From: Brett Gavagni <gavagni@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 10:42:36 -0400
Cc: speechsc@ietf.org, "Shanmugham, Saravanan" <sarvi@cisco.com>, Bergallo Patrizio <patrizio.bergallo@loquendo.com>

That was the original suggestion when I started with this thread
(http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/speechsc/current/msg01722.html),
and this suggestion wasn't  too well received.

"Propose to modify the wording that message-length does NOT include the
start-line as an issue to track for the next draft."

So then we diverged into the defining the true value of the message-length
token, and thus the proposal for the removal of the message-length token
in its entirety.

This removal  proposal was fueled even more with the distinction that the
MRCPv2 session control is separated, especially since MRCPv2 messages are
NOT expected/described as tunnelled.

I'd be happy if the message-length was modified as originally proposed to
NOT include the size of the start-line in the length, or if the
message-length to be removed from the draft.

IMO, anything else is a hack. =)

Continue the flame roasting as necessary. =)

Thanks,

Brett Gavagni
WebSphere Voice Server Development
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/pervasive/voice_server/
gavagni@us.ibm.com

Corby Anderson <corby@tellme.com>
04/14/2006 08:26 PM

Brett Gavagni/West Palm Beach/IBM@IBMUS
cc
"Shanmugham, Saravanan" <sarvi@cisco.com>, speechsc@ietf.org, Bergallo
Patrizio <patrizio.bergallo@loquendo.com>
Subject
Re: [Speechsc] message-length clarification

No, you're not the only one. :-)  It is hacky.  The size calculation that
Dave Burke posted is concise, but it's cumbersome.

But stepping back a little, it *is* helpful to know the size ahead of
time.  Since clients can share an MRCP control channel, it's makes the
server's job easier if it knows ahead of time how many bytes will be in a
particular command.  You can imagine an implementation where a the socket
reader understands the first-line format enough to read all the bytes for
a single message into a buffer and then hand it off to a different
class/function/thread for further processing.

How about if  the length pertained to the size of everything *except* the
first line?  That would make the size calculation trivial and would still
offer the benefit of having the size around for parsing purposes.

Corby Anderson
Tellme Networks

Brett Gavagni wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks this suggestion for padding a fixed length
is a Band-Aid (*hack) for the real problem identified by this thread?

Thanks,

Brett Gavagni
WebSphere Voice Server Development
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/pervasive/voice_server/
gavagni@us.ibm.com

"Shanmugham, Saravanan" <sarvi@cisco.com>
04/14/2006 02:06 PM

"Bergallo Patrizio" <patrizio.bergallo@loquendo.com>, <speechsc@ietf.org>
cc

Subject
RE: [Speechsc] message-length clarification

Pete/Bergallo,

Leading spaces are illegal per the current ABNF definition.
But Pete's suggestion is perfectly legal and makes the encoding phase just

as effciient.

I can add this clarification/suggestion for implementers into the
specification.

Thx,

Sarvi