Re: [Speermint] FW: I-D Action:draft-niccolini-speermint-voipthreats-03.txt

Dan York <dyork@voxeo.com> Mon, 25 February 2008 14:07 UTC

From: Dan York <dyork@voxeo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:05:29 -0500
To: Saverio Niccolini <Saverio.Niccolini@nw.neclab.eu>
Cc: speermint@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Speermint] FW: I-D Action:draft-niccolini-speermint-voipthreats-03.txt
Sender: speermint-bounces@ietf.org

Saverio,

The document looks quite good.  On behalf of VOIPSA, I'll say again
thanks for the mention of the Threat Taxonomy. (I know I've said this
to you personally in the past but also want to do so publicly.)

A couple of minor nits, mostly related to formatting:

- In sections 2.1.x and 2.2.1-2, you list out individual attacks as
bullet items.  In section 2.2.3, you mention several attacks but do
not list them as bullet items.  For the sake of consistency you might
want to consider doing so.

- Sections 2.1.1 and 2.2.1 do not have introductory sentences but
purely include bullets. I don't know if you care about being
consistent with the other sections.

- In section 2.2.3, there is a missing "the" in the first sentence:
"The LF can be THE object of DoS attacks."

- In section 2.3 there are a couple of places in the first sentence
where you use "signaling function" but I think to be grammatically
correct it should be "the signaling function".  (As I wonder if I'm
going to unleash another grammar rathole... )

- In sections 2.3.2.1 and 2.3.2.2 the bullets suddenly disappeared
(at least on http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-niccolini-
speermint-voipthreats-03.txt )

- Section 2.4.1 again has no bullets while 2.4.2-2.4.3 do

Like I said, really all just formatting issues.

The only real substantive comment I'll make is to ask this - have you
considered if there is a threat of what I'll call a "self-inflicted
DoS" within the SPEERMINT architecture?  By that I mean what happens
when, for instance, there is a power outage and upon the return of
power there is a large flood as all the SIP devices send INVITEs to
the registrar.   Obviously that instance doesn't impact the SPEERMINT
architecture, but are there similar issues?  For instance,
misconfiguration of one SIP provider's servers sending a flood of
bogus packets within the peering fabric?  If there are such
situations it may make sense to at least mention them in this
document.  I find that people often focus on the external attackers
and forget to look at how to protect against internal configuration
problems that can have the same ultimate effect as an external attacker.

Overall a great document,
Dan

On Feb 22, 2008, at 1:25 PM, Saverio Niccolini wrote:

> Hi,
>
> a new version of the VoIP Threats draft is available.
> Main changes are:
> -- adapted to the terminology draft
> -- added the BCPs
>
> Comments are appreciated,
> Saverio

Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     dyork@voxeo.com
Phone: +1-407-455-5859  Skype: danyork  http://www.voxeo.com
Blogs: http://blogs.voxeo.com  http://www.disruptivetelephony.com

Bring your web applications to the phone.
Find out how at http://evolution.voxeo.com