Re: [SPKM] SPKM Design Team Meeting Notes

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> Thu, 08 February 2007 00:52 UTC

Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 19:52:28 -0500
From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu>
To: Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams@sun.com>, "Liqiang(Larry) Zhu" <lzhu@windows.microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: [SPKM] SPKM Design Team Meeting Notes
Cc: Sam Hartman <hartmans@mit.edu>, spkm@ietf.org, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu>

On Wednesday, February 07, 2007 05:38:53 PM -0600 Nicolas Williams
<Nicolas.Williams@sun.com> wrote:

> That said, I am currently not able to devote enough time to GSS-TLS.  To
> be fair to you, unless someone else pops up to do that work I will
> support PKU2U instead.

This is an important point, and it's not unique to GSS-TLS.  All of the
proposals that have been brought forward require real work.  It's not fair
or realistic to expect that all of that work will be done by their
respective authors.  Additionally, I will note that none of these proposals
is so hand-wavy that its editorship cannot be taken up by someone other
than its original author, provided there are people willing to do the work.

So, regardless of the direction we take, the chance of success will depend
heavily on how many people are willing to participate actively in the work,
not just reviewing documents and shouting down bad ideas, but actually
contributing design ideas and text and maybe even serving as an editor.

I would like to see some indication of who might be willing to participate
at that level, for each of these proposals.  There's no point in choosing
an approach that no one is willing to work on, and IMHO any of the choices
available to us would be better than nothing.

-- Jeff