Re: [SPKM] SPKM Design Team Meeting Notes

Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu> Wed, 07 February 2007 21:28 UTC

From: Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu>
To: "Liqiang(Larry) Zhu" <lzhu@windows.microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: [SPKM] SPKM Design Team Meeting Notes
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 16:28:42 -0500
Cc: spkm@ietf.org

Thanks Larry.

I guess some of you are wondering why you never saw an announcement of
a design team before their report.

That's my fault.

I had originally hoped to get a design team together to select between
the four mechanisms presented at the BOF.

However talking to Andy and some people who had talked to Andy, it
seemed like the NFS folks might benefit more from a quick decision
than from a protracted discussion.  I suggested that if they were
willing to join the design team and if they were willing to limit the
options to the TLS and PKU2U mechanisms we could quickly come to
consensus and move forward.

Unfortunately, one of the people I asked to serve on the design team
declined to do so citing work time commitment and lack of faith in the
process.  I didn't feel that Nico, Larry and Olga were representative
enough to actually pick an option, but I did feel that they would do a
great job of summarizing the differences.

I'd like to think them for doing that; I think they've done a great
job of what they were asked to do.

Sadly, we're in sort of a bind.

1) The updated SPKM spec clearly needs work before it can be
   considered.  No one besides the original authors has stepped
   forward indicating interest in doing that work.  I do believe that
   we need some additional eyes on that document if we were going to
   consider it.

2) I've been unable to get a group together that I feel is
    representative enough to choose a direction.

I do not know how to proceed at this point.

--Sam