[splices] Way forward for the WG

Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com> Tue, 12 April 2011 12:47 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 15:47:28 +0300
From: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>
To: splices@ietf.org
Subject: [splices] Way forward for the WG

Hi,

in the SPLICES session in Prague, there was consensus in the room not to
work on scenarios that require updated UAs on both ends. That is, the
new SPLICES functionality would need to be available as long as one end
supported the new mechanisms. Such consensus needs to be confirmed on
the list. Simon Pietro will take care of that.

It is obvious that this WG is running very low on energy. The little
energy I have seen came from people interested in scenarios where both
ends supported the new mechanisms to be developed. People against
updating both ends have been mostly opposing work on those mechanisms,
as opposed to driving new work.

So, I am concerned that when this decision is confirmed, there will not
be any energy left in this WG.

At this point, I would like to ask whether people are willing to
allocate some of their cycles to work on the problems described in the
charter of this WG or if I should simply shut down the WG for lack of
energy.

In short, I want SPLICES to be either an active WG or not to be a WG at
all. I do not want it to be in a kind of limbo where nothing happens and
nobody cares.

Thanks,

Gonzalo