Re: [splices] Way forward for the WG

gao.yang2@zte.com.cn Tue, 12 April 2011 13:13 UTC

To: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>
From: gao.yang2@zte.com.cn
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 21:10:06 +0800
Cc: splices@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [splices] Way forward for the WG

Hi Gonzalo,

We(ZTE) care about this topic. Because of having no time for the meeting
in Prague, I did not join the face to face meeting. I can join the
discussion on the maillist, and ask other ZTE guys for the face to face
meeting for the next time.

Then, back to the charter itself, I think this topic is quite meaningful.
And there's some operators contact us to talk about the requirement of
sharing streams between UEs in IMS.

Last one, I think this topis is overlapped with IUT topic in 3GPP. How to
handle the relationship of the two topics in IMS deployment is
interesting.

Thanks,

Gao

Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>
发件人:  splices-bounces@ietf.org
2011-04-12 20:47

收件人
splices@ietf.org
抄送

主题
[splices] Way forward for the WG

Hi,

in the SPLICES session in Prague, there was consensus in the room not to
work on scenarios that require updated UAs on both ends. That is, the
new SPLICES functionality would need to be available as long as one end
supported the new mechanisms. Such consensus needs to be confirmed on
the list. Simon Pietro will take care of that.

It is obvious that this WG is running very low on energy. The little
energy I have seen came from people interested in scenarios where both
ends supported the new mechanisms to be developed. People against
updating both ends have been mostly opposing work on those mechanisms,
as opposed to driving new work.

So, I am concerned that when this decision is confirmed, there will not
be any energy left in this WG.

At this point, I would like to ask whether people are willing to
allocate some of their cycles to work on the problems described in the
charter of this WG or if I should simply shut down the WG for lack of
energy.

In short, I want SPLICES to be either an active WG or not to be a WG at
all. I do not want it to be in a kind of limbo where nothing happens and
nobody cares.

Thanks,

Gonzalo