[spring] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-spring-problem-statement-07: (with COMMENT)

"Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Wed, 02 March 2016 12:21 UTC

From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2016 04:21:34 -0800
Cc: pifranco@cisco.com, aretana@cisco.com, draft-ietf-spring-problem-statement@ietf.org, spring-chairs@ietf.org, spring@ietf.org
Subject: [spring] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-spring-problem-statement-07: (with COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-spring-problem-statement-07: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spring-problem-statement/

COMMENT:

Thanks for adding the new security considerations text.

My take-away from that is:

- The architecture needs to have a clearly defined
  concept of domains so that you can strip source
  routes on ingress/egress, if needed.
- We know there are (as yet unstated) security issues
  with source routing. The architecture document is
  where those are promised. Which document is that?
  Is it draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing?
  So far, that doesn't seem to be there, so we should
  expect more discussion to be needed if that remains
  the case.
- You figure spring is ok-ish for MPLS, or at least no
  worse than today, is that right?
- There is a need for a digital signature mechanism
  (or similar) for the IPv6 data plane. In which document
  would I find that?
  Is it draft-previdi-6man-segment-routing-header?
  If so, that seems to call for pre-shared keys, which
  seems likely to be tricky, if we consider BCP107. I
  think we'll be heading for yet another discussion
  of the need for automated key management here.

I'm ok with letting this document go ahead, but I do hope
the WG have substantive discussion of the above topics and
we don't leave that to IESG review of the documents
concerned. I'm happy to try help get that done earlier if
the WG are up for that as leaving it to IESG review is
liable to be more painful all around.