Re: [Spud] endpoint control

Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch> Thu, 30 June 2016 21:05 UTC

From: Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 23:05:25 +0200
To: 🔓Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>
Cc: "Smith, Kevin, (R&D) Vodafone Group" <Kevin.Smith@vodafone.com>, "spud@ietf.org" <spud@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Spud] endpoint control

> On 30 Jun 2016, at 19:41, 🔓Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com> wrote:
>

> On 30-Jun-2016 08:33 am, Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch> wrote:
>>
>> hi Dan,
>>
>> (sorry it took me a while to get back to you here; need better email AQM)...

>>> How so?
>>>
>>> -d
>>
>> Well, you need the endpoint to know which and what kinds of middleboxes its traffic is likely to encounter on the way to the other endpoint. There are three cases I can think of here:
>>
>> 1. An enterprise device can authenticate the enterprise firewall and/or VPN gateway.
>>
>> 2. A mobile handset can authenticate infrastructure in the mobile access network.
>>
>> 3. A server in a data center can authenticate infrastructure in the data center network.
>>
>> (You could extend 1 to include home access networks as well, but getting the in-home devices and the gateways to authenticate each other reliably is an area that still needs some work to keep from being a giant support-call generator.)
>>
>> In all three of these cases, the authentication relationship doesn't cross an administrative domain boundary. In an Internet context, this is what I mean by "limited". Note that it *doesn't* cover the case where a data center server says something to the mobile access network, or the handset and the server cooperate to say something to the same network, because as soon as you cross the admin domain boundary the device-to-device authentication problem quickly becomes intractable.
>>
>> Building a common framework for making this kind of authentication work is a very interesting problem,
>
> Yes.  I was hoping you had a solution.

Sadly, no. I do believe the problem can be scoped in such a way that a useful solution is possible... but I don't know what it looks like.

>  If we can solve that, we can achieve secure DHCP, among other things.

Yep. I think this is an entirely different problem, very much worth tackling. A solution would mesh nicely with PLUS, but also be applicable in situations where PLUS doesn't buy you anything (such as, as you say, secure DHCP).

Given that, I think it makes sense to carve out a facility in PLUS that use this other solution to authenticate network elements would use. And there, I think protected-presence, unprotected-content scratch space, with encrypted feedback in case it's the wrong endpoint listening, is the right way to go.

Cheers,

Brian