Re: Point of order re: Internet Security Guidelines I-D

Stephen D Crocker <crocker@tis.com> Sat, 29 June 1991 16:24 UTC

To: matsb@sics.se
Cc: Craig Partridge <craig@sics.se>, iab@isi.edu, iesg@NRI.Reston.VA.US, spwg@NRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: Re: Point of order re: Internet Security Guidelines I-D
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1991 12:25:56 -0400
From: Stephen D Crocker <crocker@tis.com>

Mats,

Thanks for your comment.

There are two documents emerging.  One is the Internet Security
Guidelines, and the other is a Site Security Handbook.  (The titles of
both of these are slightly in flux.)  The guidelines document is short;
the handbook is *long*.  Although your comment could apply to either
document, I suspect you're really talking about the 100 page handbook.
This is the product of the Site Security Policy Handbook Working Group
(ssphwg) chaired by Joyce Reynolds and Paul Holbrook.  Joyce is on the
IESG, and I'll depend on her to pass your comments on to her working
group.

With respect to the guidelines document, there is some tension between
making it short and compact versus including lots of motivation and
explanation.  Barbara Fraser and I are wrestling with this now, and
we'll try to crank out a new version within a couple of weeks.

Steve

Steve