Re: [stir] draft-kaplan-stir-ikes-out

"Anton Tveretin" <fas_vm@surguttel.ru> Tue, 13 August 2013 16:05 UTC

From: Anton Tveretin <fas_vm@surguttel.ru>
To: Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kaplan@oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 22:02:39 +0600
Cc: stir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [stir] draft-kaplan-stir-ikes-out

I think we should discuss scenarios involving different networks first.
Consider a SIP-> PSTN call. The gateway IMO should perform validation, and
transcode IKES information. But caller might have only SIP AoR
(e-mail-style) and no telephony-style number. So the caller becomes unknown.
Also, it is unlikely that anyone will do validation on PSTN side.

PSTN -> SIP. Probably IKES is not deployed on PSTN side. So the gateway
should supply it.

SIP -> PSTN -> SIP. The second gateway must recognize IKES even though it
does no validation. Remember that caller might be unknown?

I do not know whether SIP<->H.323 gateways exist.

SIP->PSTN->H.323? IKES would be available to the callee, but not to
gatekeepers, unless it is delivered with RAS. But it is GK that admits or
not. So "do not admit unvalidated calls" policy implies that IKES is passed
with RAS.

Of course, scenarios as SIP->PSTN->H.323->PSTN->SIP->PSTN->H.323 are also
possible, esp. if consider private networks.

I think it is nothing wrong with covering other protocols. Or, should say
RFC 2225 (IPOA) be approved by ITU?

Everything in this message is under question  (?).