Re: [storm] WG Last Call comments on consolidated iSCSI draft

<david.black@emc.com> Sun, 28 August 2011 17:26 UTC

From: david.black@emc.com
To: julian@satran.net, roweber@ieee.org
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 13:27:28 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: storm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [storm] WG Last Call comments on consolidated iSCSI draft

I agree - second try at text:

OLD
  ACA helps preserve ordered command execution in the presence of
  errors. As iSCSI can have many commands in-flight between
  initiator and target, iSCSI initiators and targets SHOULD support
  ACA.
NEW
  Some SCSI initiators use ACA to enforce ordered command execution
  during error recovery, and hence iSCSI initiator implementations
  for those SCSI initiators need to support ACA.  In order to support
  error recovery for these SCSI and iSCSI initiators, iSCSI targets
  SHOULD support ACA.

As Ralph noted, an implementer of an iSCSI initiator that needs ACA will know
it, or learn quickly when error recovery doesn't work right wrt the SCSI class
driver :-), so the primary purpose of the SHOULD in this text is to tell
target implementers about the need for ACA support.

FWIW, this is a "SHOULD" and not a "MUST" because a target implementer may
choose not to support initiators that use ACA - that absence of ACA support
will be detected quickly at the SCSI level, as the first SCSI command that
sets the NACA bit in the CONTROL byte in the CDB will get hit with a
CHECK CONDITION for having done so.

Thanks,
--David