[straw] Review of draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp-10

"Ben Campbell" <ben@nostrum.com> Fri, 27 May 2016 22:17 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp.all@ietf.org, straw@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 17:17:35 -0500
Cc: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
Subject: [straw] Review of draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp-10

[Oops, I sent that from the wrong address. Please send any discussion to
ben@nostrum.com]

Hi,

Here is my review of draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp-10. I mentioned in my
AD evaluation of a previous version that the draft needed editing for
clarity and readability. In my opinion, this version is improved, but
still a bit rough in places. I have a few substantive comments and quite
a few editorial comments.

This is not a formal AD evaluation. That will occur after the chairs
submit a new publication request. But I think we need to work through
this before it will be ready for IETF last call.

Thanks,

Ben.

------------

### Substantive Comments:

* The intended status is proposed standard. Do people really expect
b2bua vendors to implement the rules in this draft? Do they expect
existing b2bua implementations to be updated?

* Abstract - Is it really true that media passthrough b2buas need
   to implement the full RTP stack?

* Section 1:

     * 2nd paragraph - The following has been overtaken by events:

      >"These topologies are currently being updated to address new
commonly
      >encountered scenarios as well [RFC7667]."

     * paragraph after figure 1, last sentence - Why does it matter that
the RTP packet is audio?

* Section 3, last paragraph - This paragraph seems to argue that the
fact that
   existing b2buas do not follow specs is a reason to create more specs.
That seems
   questionable.

* Section 3.1:

     * Second Paragraph
          * 2nd sentence: Do you mean if the endpoints sent
            bad SDP, or if the b2bua messes up the SDP?
          * "but having them synced during setup would
            help nonetheless" - Help how? Please elaborate, or consider
            dropping the text in the parentheses.

* Section 3.2

   * third paragraph from end: "...it SHOULD update the related
’ssrc’
     attributes...": Why not MUST? Can you envision reasonable
circumstances in which
     one might do follow this?

   * last paragraph, 2nd to last sentence - Wouldn’t the primary
reason to do this
    be because the endpoint on the non-supporting side didn’t support
reduced-size? Wouldn’t
    the b2bua need to advertise the feature to discover that?

* Section 4
    * Last paragraph, 2nd to last sentence - If you think people will
really pay attention,
      then this might be a good place for a MUST or SHOULD

* Section 6
     * The first paragraph describes this draft as a "summary" and "best
common practice overview"
       That seems to argue against the proposed standard status (see
previous comment).

### Editorial Comments and Nits:

* IDNits reports unused references for RFCs 4568, 5764 and 4588

* Please consider proofreading for unnecessary filler words, such as
  "besides", "basically", "just", "also", "as well", "instead,", "as
such", etc.
   To some degree, this is a matter of style, but when used heavily
   they can impact readability.

* Section 1, First Paragraph:

     * s/completelely/completely
     * I'm not sure what "... can lead to unexpected situations the
       IETF is trying to address" means.
     * does "most deployed" mean "most commonly deployed"?
     * 2nd paragraph - The following is convoluted and hard to parse.
       Can you simplify it?

        >"...manipulate the session description [RFC4566], in order to
        >have all RTP and RTCP [RFC3550] pass through it as well within
        >the context of an SDP offer/answer [RFC3264]."

     * Third paragraph - I'm not sure what this means:

        >"... their effectiveness may be affected as a consequence"

     * Paragraph after Figure 1:

      >"As part of this process, though, it is also rewriting some of
the
      >RTP header information on the way, for instance because that’s
how
      >its RTP relaying stack works:"

         * That basically says it rewrites RTP headers because it does.
           That’s not a reason. I suggest either offering a real
reason,
           or don’t try to offer a reason at all.
         * The antecedent for "it" is ambiguous

     * 2nd paragraph from end of paragraph
         * Sentence starting with "Since the B2BUA" is very hard to
parse.
         * Sentence starting with "As a consequence" is also hard to
parse.

     * Last paragraph in section, last sentence
         * Should "such feedback" be "RTCP"?
         * Are there things they _are_ supposed to break?

* Section 3:

     * First paragraph:
         * s/anticipated/described ; (or mentioned).
         * 2 of the 3 categories have numbers, but the 3rd does not.

* Section 3.1

     * 2nd paragraph:
         * s/"in case"/"when"  (or "if"). (This pattern occurs
repeatedly)
         * s/"is generating"/"generates"
         * What does "taking into account the original session
description"
           mean? Maybe s/"taking into account"/"using"

     * Third paragraph:
         * Are there uninterested participants?
         * "It SHOULD NOT, though, blindly forward all SDP attributes,"
- Isn’t
           the idea that it should forward any attributes that it
doesn’t
           have a specific reason not to forward? (i.e. default to
forwarding?)

     * Fourth paragraph, first sentence: Hard to parse. Does this mean
the
       same as: “Aside from RTCP, the relay may need to hide
information due
       to local policy.”?

* Section 3.2:

      * First paragraph - Would it make sense to s/"is able to
inspect"/"inspects" and
        s/"be able to modify"/"modify"?

      * Third paragraph: Consider s/"is receiving"/"receives".

      * Fourth paragraph: I can't parse the sentence.

      * Feedback messages - It’s a little confusing having the
following FCI
        entries at the same section outline level as the feedback
message entry.
        Consider making “Feedback messages” a separate section.

      * ECN Section - The section is hard to parse.

      * Third paragraph from end:
          * consider s/"is going to change"/"changes"
          * 2nd to last sentence: Does this mean “prevent a UAC from
_sending_
            NACK messages that would never reach the intended
recipients”?
          * last sentence - There’s something wrong with this
sentence. Do you mean
             all three instances of "RTCP message" to really be be "RTCP
message"?

      * Second to last paragraph:
          * First sentence is hard to parse
          * "not use it on the other side, if it’s not supported." -
If what doesn't support it?
            The b2bua? The endpoint?
          * "any of the parties in the communication does not support" -
s/does/do
          * s/involve/use
          * "no conflicting RTP payload type numbers on both sides" -
should this say "either side"?
          * "ensure no conflict" - I suggest "prevent conflict" or
"ensure that there is no conflict"
          * What do you mean by "domain" in this context?

* Section 3.3, last paragraph, last sentence - Sentence hard to parse.

* Section 4 - Seems like this belongs in security considerations

      * Third paragraph - s/Terminarion/Termination