Re: [Supa] SUPA questions

John Strassner <John.sc.Strassner@huawei.com> Fri, 20 February 2015 01:33 UTC

From: John Strassner <John.sc.Strassner@huawei.com>
To: Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>, Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, John Strassner <John.sc.Strassner@huawei.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 01:33:20 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.193.36.101]
Cc: "ops-ads@tools.ietf.org" <ops-ads@tools.ietf.org>, "supa@ietf.org" <supa@ietf.org>, "rtg-ads@tools.ietf.org" <rtg-ads@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Supa] SUPA questions

Juergen wrote: " I think the idea is that policy is expressed via a data model, not via a new language. Some of the infrastructure should be generic (e.g. binding a policy to date/time) but then there will be specific extensions. SUPA is planning to focus on inter-datacenter traffic management as a use-case via VPNs and hence the specific extension will have to detail VPN properties, not QoS or access control or generic policy routing properties."

I **almost** agree. :-)

I think that what is required is to express policy as an information model, and in a form more generic than that defined in RFC3060 and related drafts (since they only define one type of (limited) policy rule, of type condition-action).

Then, given a **single** information model, multiple data models could be derived from it that can interoperate because they are all using the same concepts. Without this single information model, the data models will likely be designed in a siloed fashion, and interoperability will suffer.

Finally, if we define an information model, then we can use its components to help define a language (intent-based or otherwise). Without the information model, then how do we define a technology-neutral grammar for the language? (Note: I am still assuming that the "P" in SUPA stands for policy, and that we still want to build a language. If this is indeed true, then the first step should be the information model, so as to make the language as generic and useful as possible. I am also assuming that we are talking a Domain-Specific Language, not Python^2.)

regards,
John

Dr. John Strassner, Ph.D.
CTO, Software Laboratory, CRD