Re: [Syslog] draft-cloud-log-00 / CEE - why not IPFIX?

"Rainer Gerhards" <rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com> Wed, 16 February 2011 11:33 UTC

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 12:34:06 +0100
From: Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com>
To: Jeroen Massar <jeroen@unfix.org>
Cc: Sam Johnston <sj@google.com>, cee@mitre.org, syslog@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Syslog] draft-cloud-log-00 / CEE - why not IPFIX?

Well I really don't like to restart that discussion in this context here
again, but let me note that what you are doing with your converter is very
useful. It actually normalizes data into a canonical format. This is
something that CEE tends to do, but in a protocol agnostic format (and I do
similar things in my projects as well). The general utility is unquestioned.
The question is if such an effort must be bound restricted to a single
protocol. My PoV is that this is counter-productive.

You definitely have a point in that IPFIX may be superior than syslog in many
regards. I do not intend to argue against this. But often a simpler solution
is able to draw more attention, and thus deployments, than a (potentially or
actually) technical superior one (shouldn't we all use the OSI stack by now,
just as one example...).

I don't think it is useful to include IPFIX in syslog. But it may be an
option that IPFIX makes syslog obsolete. I think you should take that later
route.

But as I said -- I do not intend to spawn another iteration of this lengthy
discussion. It has occurred sooo often in the past years.

Rainer

PS: You are right in one more thing "ASCII" is the wrong term. Most folks
(including me) seem to be sloppy and say ASCII when they actually mean
printable text data, of course including UTF-8.