Re: [Syslog] I-D Action:draft-cloud-log-01.txt (fwd)

Gene Golovinsky <gene@alertlogic.com> Mon, 21 March 2011 12:27 UTC

From: Gene Golovinsky <gene@alertlogic.com>
To: Raffael Marty <raffy@raffy.ch>, Chris Lonvick <clonvick@cisco.com>, "dominik.birk@rub.de" <dominik.birk@rub.de>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 07:29:13 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "syslog@ietf.org" <syslog@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Syslog] I-D Action:draft-cloud-log-01.txt (fwd)

Raffael.
I have responded to your blog post in a private e-mail a few weeks ago.

There are two aspects here that I feel need addressing.

1. If I take your statement that that standardization of logging in the cloud is not needed than conversation about technical merits of the proposal is completely irrelevant! Why even bother working out the correct technical solution if the problem does not even exist?
2. I completely agree that we need ONE standard. We actually already have it - Syslog.

CloudLog is an extension to Syslog and using exiting and well defined Syslog facilities. You are proposing CEE instead, which cannot really be easily mapped to Syslog hence all existing facilities will not work.

I would also argue that CloudLog is really a protocol, while CEE looks rather like a data model to me.

If anything they are rather orthogonal to each other.

I completely disagree that Cloud is not special. Like any other new IT deployment, Cloud brings a slew of new and previously not considered uses cases. Those use cases are discussed in the latest rev of the draft.
One size fits all has never worked and never will.
As new technology gets developed new methodologies and protocols are needed.
With rapid adoption of Cloud deployments - SaaS, PaaS and IaaS - we need protocols and methodologies to manage and monitor them.
Even exiting traditional security solutions don't really work with Cloud deployments  as, for example, with IaaS traditional NIDS does not have access to the network traffic.
Same applies to logging. Your usage and access paradigm is changed and logging of them needs to keep up.

Best.
--Gene