Re: [Syslog] New Version Notification fordraft-gerhards-syslog-plain-tcp-05 (fwd)

"David Harrington" <ietfdbh@comcast.net> Tue, 02 November 2010 05:52 UTC

From: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
To: "'t.petch'" <ietfc@btconnect.com>, 'Chris Lonvick' <clonvick@cisco.com>, syslog@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 13:52:28 +0800
Subject: Re: [Syslog] New Version Notification fordraft-gerhards-syslog-plain-tcp-05 (fwd)

Hi,

Many of the changes were made at my request.
I believe the document as written would not have made it through IESG
approval.

1) the IETF has defined a standard syslog; how to make your legacy
proprietary version work is not an IETF problem.

2) the syslog WG was created to develop a secure syslog solution with
secure transport and signing capability.
How to make your legacy proprietary version work over non-secure
transport is not an IETF problem.

3) Publishing this as a proposed standard seems to violate BCP 61.
syslog/tls already provides "strong security" over tcp, so syslog/tcp
is not needed to meet IETF goals. Under what
circumstances is it **desirable** to use this specification (with no
strong security available) in the Internet? Why not use the syslog/TLS

specification, with the security features administratively turned off
within secure environments?
You cannot justify implementing this by saying things like
"syslog/TLS is required and this is optional", and not explain WHY
this
additional non-bcp61-compliant specification is needed.

4) The aim of this IETF specification should be to document "how TCP
MAY be used as a
transport for standardized syslog", when the standard secure transport
may not apply.
(But I expect serious pushback from the IESG on this; see #3)
Because this might have to work with legacy deployments, we also
include as an appendix
"how to correlate the legacy and standard usages."

5) RFC3164 is just a survey, not a specification.

6) RFC2119 language needed to be cleaned up.

David Harrington
Director, IETF Transport Area
ietfdbh@comcast.net (preferred for ietf)
dbharrington@huaweisymantec.com