Re: [Syslog] New Version: draft-ietf-syslog-dtls-02

"Joseph Salowey (jsalowey)" <jsalowey@cisco.com> Sat, 06 March 2010 00:48 UTC

Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 16:48:01 -0800
From: "Joseph Salowey (jsalowey)" <jsalowey@cisco.com>
To: Richard Graveman <rfgraveman@gmail.com>, "Chris Lonvick (clonvick)" <clonvick@cisco.com>
Cc: syslog@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Syslog] New Version: draft-ietf-syslog-dtls-02

The syslog over TLS document allows for certificates using full path validation and certificate fingerprint matching.  The DTLS document takes the same approach.  This may not fully address your SHA-1 concern, but it does provide a mechanism to get things up and running without a full PKI.

Also, the GCM cipher suites are not available in DTLS until we complete DTLS 1.2.  Other PSK cipher suites could be implemented with DTLS and syslog, the current draft does not restrict them.

Joe