Re: [tcpinc] Call for adoption of draft-rescorla-tcpinc-tls-option-05

Matt Corallo <tcpinc@bluematt.me> Mon, 02 November 2015 01:37 UTC

To: Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>, tcpinc <tcpinc@ietf.org>
From: Matt Corallo <tcpinc@bluematt.me>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2015 01:37:30 +0000
Subject: Re: [tcpinc] Call for adoption of draft-rescorla-tcpinc-tls-option-05

I do not support adopting tcpinc-tls-option because:

* Using TLS (even a limited set of allowed options) as the tcpinc
mechanism loses the "defense in depth" property that tcpinc nicely
provides for some applications.
* I believe the extra round-trip for new connections to a new server
will significantly harm adoption of such a proposal. While it seems
reasonably possible to fix this issue, doing so brings tls-option
further from the stated(?) goal of re-using TLS and all of its many
years of study. This would seem to largely defeat the purpose.

Matt