Re: [tcpm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc793bis-08.txt

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Thu, 05 April 2018 17:14 UTC

To: Yuchung Cheng <ycheng@google.com>, "tcpm@ietf.org Extensions" <tcpm@ietf.org>
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2018 18:14:03 +0100
Subject: Re: [tcpm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc793bis-08.txt

A couple of comments-on-comments in-line,

Gorry

On 29/03/2018 15:10, Yuchung Cheng wrote:
> Thanks for the update. I enjoy reading the new diffserv text.
>
> comments:
> <quote>
> The IPv4 specification [1] includes a precedence value in the Type of
> precedence will still have to check the precedence of incoming Service
> field (TOS), that was also modified in [15], and then
> segments and possibly raise the precedence level they use on the
> obsoleted by the definition of Differentiated Services (DiffServ)
> connection. [6].

I think this text kind of suggests ToS still exists. DiffServ is mature
technology. I think we shouldn't even be hinting that ToS semantics are
permitted - I'd suggest we firmly state that Diffserv has obsoleted the
former TOS semantics.

> In DiffServ the former precedence values are treated as Class
> Selector codepoints, and methods for compatible treatment are
> described in the DiffServ architecture. The RFC 793/1122 TCP
> specification includes logic intending to have connections use the
> highest precedence requested by either endpoint application, and to
> keep the precedence consistent throughout a connection.

Right, RFC 7657 has slightly more refined text in the same vein on not
change DSCPs too often.

> There is an
> assumption of bidirectional/symmetric precedence values, however, the
> DiffServ architecture is asymmetric. Problems were described in [17]
> and the solution described is to ignore IP precedence in TCP. Since
> RFC 2873 is a Standards Track document (although not marked as
> updating RFC 793), these checks are no longer a part of the TCP
> standard defined in this document, though the DiffServ field value is
> still is a part of the interface between TCP and the network layer,
/is still is/
> and values can be indicated both ways between TCP and the
> application.
> </quote>
>
> I am not entirely I get the main points this paragraph tries to convey. Are they
> 1. a TCP stack MUST implement RFC2873
> 2. precedence is obsoleted.
> ?

I think something does have to be said about the way diffserv works,
although RFC 2873 is all the more vague by avoiding all keywords.

> <quote>
> Note that the DiffServ field is permitted to change during a
> connection (section 4.2.4.2 of RFC 1122). However, the
> application interface might not support this ability,

Well always possible, but do we really need to say that, since it kind
of breaks diffserv.