Re: [tcpm] More option space on any segment: draft-briscoe-tcpm-inner-space-00 (was syn-op-sis-02)

Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe@bt.com> Mon, 27 October 2014 18:05 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 18:05:06 +0000
To: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
From: Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe@bt.com>
Cc: tcpm IETF list <tcpm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] More option space on any segment: draft-briscoe-tcpm-inner-space-00 (was syn-op-sis-02)

Joe,

At 18:54 20/10/2014, Joe Touch wrote:

>On 10/19/2014 5:58 PM, Bob Briscoe wrote:
> > Chairs and list,
> >
> > My individual draft has a new file-name (and title): inner-space-00
> > <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-tcpm-inner-space-00>
> > This is a major rev of syn-op-sis-02
> > <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-tcpm-syn-op-sis-02>, but I
> > won't be using that name any more.
> > Sorry to confuse everyone by changing the name. But the old name was no
> > longer relevant.
> >
> > I believe the new Inner Space protocol could be a significant advance
> > for TCP.
>
>IMO, you're on the path to implementing TCP inside TCP.
>
>That is, right up until a middlebox starts parsing and modifying the
>inner TCP, at which point you'll need TCP-in-TCP-in-TCP, ad infinitum.

Nope. Here's a bulleted summary of the section in
inner-space that explains why this could be a
permanent stop on middleboxes, not just a step in
an arms race. Of course, I can't predict for
certain what the operators will buy, but this is a plausible argument:

non-goal
* evasion of security middleboxes
   –they will evolve to check Inner Options

goal
* Inner Space deployed for something useful (e.g. tcpcrypt)
   –traverses most middleboxes, so reaches critical mass
   –can deploy integrity protection over TCP Data
   –(cannot protect Outer Options for consumer
Internet today – would fail too often)
* raises stakes
   –then tampering with Inner Options will break comms,
   not just the theoretical potential benefit of a new option
* puts security middlebox designers on the back foot
   –blocking comms just 'cos options are non-typical will not sell
   –distinguishing attacks from the latest advances will sell

result
* mess with options and you shoot yourself in the foot

For full text, see
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-tcpm-inner-space-00#section-3.2.2>

>IMO this whole exercise is a significant step backwards, except as a
>good example of why we need constraints for middleboxes.

It /is/ about constraining future middleboxes.
But you have to provide something useful as well,
to get it deployed. And that means getting thru today's middleboxes first.

It's fairly pointless trying to constrain
deployment of middleboxes that are already deployed. That horse has bolted.

Bob

>Joe

Bob Briscoe,                                                  BT