Re: [tcpm] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-williams-exp-tcp-host-id-opt-03.txt

"Scharf, Michael (Michael)" <michael.scharf@alcatel-lucent.com> Mon, 19 May 2014 17:54 UTC

From: "Scharf, Michael (Michael)" <michael.scharf@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Brandon Williams <brandon.williams@akamai.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 17:53:54 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.239.27.39]
Cc: "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-williams-exp-tcp-host-id-opt-03.txt

Hi Brandon, all,

Thanks a lot for this update. Indeed, the update takes into account TCPM feedback, and this is excellent.

However, based on the list discussion so far, it seems to the chairs that this document would be a better fit to an independent stream submission. The TCP option described in this document actually does not modify any TCP logic. Identifying the hosts that are hidden behind a shared address/prefix sharing device or application-layer proxy seems like a new service that current TCP does not offer. TCPM is only chartered for minor TCP extensions.

Also, in its current form, it seems that this document formally does not require TCPM adoption. While TCPM documents probably (hopefully!) have more weight among end-system TCP stack implementers, it is much less clear whether a TCPM document on this specific topic will indeed foster implementation convergence among middleboxes. We have no empirical evidence for that.

TCPM is used to adopt new working group items based on rather strong consensus. According to the list discussion so far, the TCPM chairs currently understand that there is no consensus in the TCPM community to adopt this document at this point in time.

Obviously, as usual in the IETF, further list discussion is welcome.

Best regards

Michael
on behalf of the TCPM chairs