Re: [tcpm] Updated SHA-2 AO draft

Brandon Williams <brandon.williams@akamai.com> Mon, 10 November 2014 00:36 UTC

Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 19:36:31 -0500
From: Brandon Williams <brandon.williams@akamai.com>
To: "Sujeet Nayak A (sua)" <sua@cisco.com>, "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] Updated SHA-2 AO draft

Hi Sujeet,

I'm still concerned about whether there's enough space in the SYN header
for this option. My concern is based mostly on a what I think is a flaw
in the analysis from RFC5925 section 7.2, which leaves out the 4-byte
MSS option. As the analysis from RFC6824 indicates, SYN packets
typically include the MSS option, leaving only 21 bytes available in an
option packed SYN and 16 in a worst-case unpacked SYN. TCP-AO with SHA1
works in either case, but SHA2 only works (just barely) in an option
packed stack.

Section 4 of your draft should probably be updated to account for the
commonality of the MSS option and the related requirement either to drop
one of the common SYN options or pack the option space.

--Brandon

--
Brandon Williams; Senior Principal Software Engineer
Emerging Products Engineering; Akamai Technologies Inc.