Re: [tcpm] a question for TCPLS

"Scharf, Michael" <Michael.Scharf@hs-esslingen.de> Fri, 25 March 2022 14:47 UTC

From: "Scharf, Michael" <Michael.Scharf@hs-esslingen.de>
To: Maxime Piraux <maxime.piraux@uclouvain.be>, Yoshifumi Nishida <nsd.ietf@gmail.com>
CC: "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 14:47:33 +0000
x-originating-ip: [134.108.140.249]
Subject: Re: [tcpm] a question for TCPLS

For what it is worth, my MCTCP prototype in 2010, which was similar to the TCPLS design, used such a user-space scheduler based on “tcp_info” data. And, obviously, MCTCP scheduled its own (TLS-like) records and relied on error recovery of each TCP connection, with all the pros and cons of that approach.

It was a KISS design. My MCTCP implementation could be used on an unmodified Linux kernel TCP/IP stack just in the user space. Implementing coupled congestion control (RFC 6356) required a small kernel patch with some few lines of code to modify the congestion control window of each coupled connection from the user space scheduler.

Michael