Re: [tcpm] [Fwd: Confirmation for Auto-Post of I-D draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv]

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Tue, 17 December 2013 16:10 UTC

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 16:10:32 +0000
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
To: Yuchung Cheng <ycheng@google.com>
Cc: "tcpm@ietf.org Extensions" <tcpm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] [Fwd: Confirmation for Auto-Post of I-D draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv]

On 17/12/2013 15:58, Yuchung Cheng wrote:

>>> I appreciate the new section on burst mitigation but why standard track?
>>>
>> The previous discussions on STD track centres on whether we would include
>> require a burst mitigation section, so this is now a good question.
>>
>>> The change has pro-found impact on congestion control as it changes
>>> how cwnd increases per ACK and after idle. There are a lot to
>>> experiment before we know this works well in real networks.
>>>
>> Are you referring to the new ack-mitigation section - requiring pacing
>> after idle?
> I am referring to the main changes proposed in the draft, not just
> pacing after idle.

OK, so this algorithm hasn't changed much for a couple of IETFs.

Do you have concerns about relaxing the Standard behaviour (collapsing
to IW after one RTO), and that letting apps maintain a higher cwnd has
dangers?

Or do you think the algorithm may keep to high a cwnd when non-validated?

Or is it something else?

- I'm happy to document/discuss (potential) concerns.