Re: [tcpm] Joe Touch: [Tsvwg] new I-D: TCP Simple AuthenticationOption

Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU> Wed, 14 June 2006 15:21 UTC

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 08:20:53 -0700
From: Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU>
To: "Barry Greene (bgreene)" <bgreene@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] Joe Touch: [Tsvwg] new I-D: TCP Simple AuthenticationOption
Cc: tcpm@ietf.org, mallman@icir.org

Barry Greene (bgreene) wrote:

>>> You may or may not be right regarding this issue. However,
>> the point
>>> is moot. For better or worse, that decision was made years
>> ago and BGP
>>> became the infrastructure upon which interdomain routing is based.
>>> This isn't about to change any time soon.
>> It is already changing, if it hasn't already - the relevant
>> IDs are cited in my draft.
>
> Where? I don't see that nor conversations which lead me to believe there
> is movement to push for a major change on massive consensus and working
> code with our SP routing protocol practice today.
>
> If there is some WG discussing this, please clue me in.

This problem has already been addressed in extensions to BGP and BGP
   for MPLS, in a mechanism known as "graceful restart" [Re05][Sa04].
   [Re05]    Rekhter, Y., R. Aggarwal, "Graceful Restart Mechanism for
             BGP with MPLS," draft-ietf-mpls-bgp-mpls-restart-05, (work
             in progress), Aug. 2005.

   [Sa04]    Sangli, S., Y. Rekhter, R. Fernando, J. Scudder, E. Chen,
             "Graceful Restart Mechanism for BGP," draft-ietf-idr-
             restart-10 (work in progress), June 2004.

The latter was an unfortunately old reference; there was a -11 version
issued in May 2006, and a new version issued just 2 days ago:

draft-ietf-idr-restart-12 	Graceful Restart Mechanism for BGP 	 Srihari
Sangli 	idr 	12-Jun-06

I encourage you to visit the IDR WG and ask them this question. Also
OSPF as per below, if of interest.

Some others missed in the first version of the draft (it was a -00 ;-):

RFC4167 Graceful OSPF Restart Implementation Report  	A. Lindem 	October
2005 	ASCII 	  	INFORMATIONAL

RFC3623 Graceful OSPF Restart  	J. Moy, P. Pillay-Esnault, A. Lindem
November 2003 	ASCII 	  	PROPOSED STANDARD

RFC3478 Graceful Restart Mechanism for Label Distribution Protocol  	M.
Leelanivas, Y. Rekhter, R. Aggarwal 	February 2003 	ASCII 	  	PROPOSED
STANDARD

draft-holla-ospf-update-graceful-restart-01 	Update to OSPF Graceful
Restart procedure 	Ashok Holla 	individual 	10-Mar-06

draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-graceful-restart-04 	OSPFv3 Graceful Restart
Padma Pillay-Esnault, Acee Lindem 	ospf 	8-May-06

Joe