[tcpm] Adding Acknowledgement Congestion Control to TCP

Sally Floyd <sallyfloyd@mac.com> Fri, 23 January 2009 23:31 UTC

From: Sally Floyd <sallyfloyd@mac.com>
To: Wesley Eddy <weddy@grc.nasa.gov>, David Borman <david.borman@windriver.com>, tcpm <tcpm@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 15:30:50 -0800
Cc: David Ros <david.ros@telecom-bretagne.eu>, Andrés Arcia <ae.arcia@telecom-bretagne.eu>, Janardhan Iyengar <janardhan.iyengar@fandm.edu>
Subject: [tcpm] Adding Acknowledgement Congestion Control to TCP
Sender: tcpm-bounces@ietf.org

We have submitted a new version of our internet-draft on
"Adding Acknowledgement Congestion Control to TCP",
draft-floyd-tcpm-ackcc, available at
"http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-floyd-tcpm-ackcc".

This draft is an individual submission, and was first presented at
TCPM in July, 2007.  ("http://www.icir.org/floyd/talks.html").
Because I am in the process of retiring, and have a number of
unfinished documents still, I have changed this draft to have an
intended status of Informational instead of Experimental, and would
like to see what steps would be necessary to advance this document
as Informational.  (This document is at the moment an individual
submission, not a working group document, and I would be happy to
try for an Informational document either as an individual submission
or as a working group document, whichever seems more appropriate.)

Several of the co-authors of the draft intend to continue research
in this area, and might submit a revised document to TCPM for
Experimental or Proposed Standard some time in the future.

The abstract and changes from the previous version are listed below.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
- Sally
http://www.icir.org/floyd/

Abstract:

    This document describes a possible congestion control mechanism for
    acknowledgement traffic (ACKs) in TCP.  The document specifies an
    end-to-end acknowledgement congestion control mechanism for TCP that
    uses participation from both TCP hosts, the TCP data sender and the
    TCP data receiver.  The TCP data sender detects lost or ECN-marked
    ACK packets, and tells the TCP data receiver the ACK Ratio R to use
    to respond to the congestion on the reverse path from the data
    receiver to the data sender.  The TCP data receiver sends roughly
one
    ACK packet for every R data packets received.  This mechanism is
    based on the acknowledgement congestion control in DCCP's CCID 2.
    This acknowledgement congestion control mechanism is being specified
    for further evaluation by the network community.

    Changes from draft-floyd-tcpm-ackcc-04.txt:

    * Changed desired status of document from Experimental to
      Informational, with associated editing changes.

    * Specified that ACK packets are only sent as ECN-Capable
      if ECN-capability has been negotiated as specified in RFC 3168.

    * Added a section on "Possible Addition:  Decreasing the
      ACK Ratio after a Congestion Window Decrease".

    * Minor editing.  Feedback from Alfred Hoenes.