Re: [tcpm] DoS attack from misbehaving receivers

John Heffner <jheffner@psc.edu> Thu, 11 January 2007 22:15 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:15:24 -0500
From: John Heffner <jheffner@psc.edu>
To: Rob Sherwood <capveg@cs.umd.edu>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] DoS attack from misbehaving receivers
Cc: david.malone@nuim.ie, tcpm@ietf.org

Rob Sherwood wrote:
>> Before endorsing a counter-measure that calls for what was
>> previously non-compliant behavior there should be a showing
>> that the problem being solved is indeed severe and unique.
>
> Agreed.  This is the crux of the discussion: is this attack severe
> enough to motivate the admittedly invasive change to the TCP stack.

Yep.

>> If my understanding is correct, the problem is that an attacker
>> can simulate reception of more material than their actual local
>> link can support, and thereby trick a large group of senders
>> into saturating *their* local links and/or intermediate segments.
>
> This is mostly correct.  The true concern is that *backbone* links,
> not just local links, will be saturated, bringing about, as the title
> suggests, Internet-wide congestion collapse.  It is this concern that
> I feel motivates the need to change the specification.

The links with heavily aggregated traffic from local or regional ISPs up
to the tier 1 ISPs are almost always bandwidth capped, and are almost
always purchased in such that they are able to carry "just enough"
traffic -- that is, it's pegged for at least some of the time.  (Who
wants to pay for more than they use?)  The core of the Internet today is
provisioned to handle the load.  It seems to me the threat of
Internet-wide congestion collapse is a bit overstated these days.  (This
also applies to recent congestion control discussions.)

I could see this attack as being effective at saturating something like
a university's access link where a small number of well-connected
servers could severely congest it.  However, in my experience, server
and network admins are very reluctant to run any sort of service that
will stream arbitrary amounts of data as fast as they can.  (I've
sometimes tried to get such services made available for measurement
purposes.)

The defense proposed in the paper is pretty cool, but implementing it
and running it on a production machine would make me a bit nervous.  If
this were a significant problem, you could always turn on bandwidth caps
in the server application or in the kernel's networking system.  This
would probably be my favored approach.  In reality, I've never heard of
this attack being perpetrated in the wild, while DDOS is quite common.

   -John