Re: [Teas] Rtgdir early review of draft-ietf-teas-enhanced-vpn-15

"Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com> Thu, 09 November 2023 11:44 UTC

From: "Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com>
To: Ketan Talaulikar <ketant.ietf@gmail.com>, "draft-ietf-teas-enhanced-vpn.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-teas-enhanced-vpn.all@ietf.org>, "teas@ietf.org" <teas@ietf.org>
CC: "rtg-dir@ietf.org" <rtg-dir@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2023 11:44:47 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.126.168.197]
Subject: Re: [Teas] Rtgdir early review of draft-ietf-teas-enhanced-vpn-15

Hi Ketan,

Thanks for the updated RTG-DIR review comments.

Please see some replies inline:

This was discussed at the time when the term NRP is introduced, though I don't remember the WG has reached any consensus on this.

My personal opinion is VTN would be more generic to cover both network resources and other functionalities which could be introduced to a virtual underlay network later.

That said, the authors are open to any decision made by the WG on this, and can update the document accordingly.

> - The document is not clear whether the VTN/NRP construct is needed to be
> introduced in routing protocols (e.g., to identify sub-set of topologies) and if so,
> the reasons for it. Or is it simply more of a forwarding plane construct (e.g., to
> mark packet for a specific VTN/NRP)? Some clear text would help.

Actually this depends on the target network scenarios, the required scale and the specific solutions used for realizing VTNs/NRPs. We can add some brief text about this, and leave the details to the solution documents.

> - In my previous review, I've highlighted that the term "Enhanced VPN"
> is misleading, but I am not able to come up with a better terminology - so be
> it.
> However, at least the authors can avoid the use of "VPN+" and instead use the
> expanded form or perhaps "enh-VPN"?

It is OK to replace "VPN+" with "enhanced VPN" in the document, just the sentences would become a little bit longer.

> Minor Issues & Nits:
>
> - IDnits points to unused references.
>
> - A run by a spelling and grammar check tool will help the authors find and fix
> issues.

We will do the nits, spelling & grammar check again to -15 version of the document.

> - There are few references to "network slice" in the document apart from Sec 6.
> Suggest to move them all into Sec 6 and perhaps move Sec 6 at the end of this
> document so the focus of this document becomes the "enhanced VPN"
> framework and use for non-network slice use cases.

As described in the introduction, the framework of enhanced VPN can be applied to both network slice and non-network slice use cases.

While I understand your point of not emphasizing the network slice use cases. We will go through the draft and keep network slice mentioned only in the introduction (section 1) and the applicability section (section 6).

Best regards,
Jie