Re: [Teas] Fw: Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-teas-yang-path-computation-11.txt

Italo Busi <Italo.Busi@huawei.com> Mon, 08 February 2021 16:48 UTC

From: Italo Busi <Italo.Busi@huawei.com>
To: 'tom petch' <ietfa@btconnect.com>, "teas@ietf.org" <teas@ietf.org>
CC: "draft-ietf-teas-yang-path-computation.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-teas-yang-path-computation.all@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2021 16:48:04 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.47.91.17]
Subject: Re: [Teas] Fw: Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-teas-yang-path-computation-11.txt

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your review and comments

We have addressed them in the -12 version we have just submitted

Please find some feedbacks and follow-up questions in line marked with "Authors > "

Thanks

Sergio and Italo (on behalf of co-authors)

Authors> Ok

We have used the following conventions:

- Software-Defined Networking
- YANG data model
- YANG module
- tree diagram
- TE tunnel
- TE topology
- Packet/Optical Integration
- Packet/Optical Coordinator
- optical network
- optical domain
- Optical Domain Controller
- packet network
- packet domain
- Packet Domain Controller
- multi-domain
- Multi-Domain Controller
- TE domain
- TE Domain Controller
- TE network
- TE Network Controller
- Data Center
- Data Center Interconnection
- orchestrator
- Cloud Network Orchestrator
- use case
- parent PCE
- child PCE

Please check if anything has been missed in the -12 version

> Expand on first use
> SDN, ABNO, ACTN, CMI, MPI, OTN, ODU, PCE, WSON, LSP,  PNC, SVEC, SRLG

Authors> Ok: please check if anything has been missed in the -12 version

> XXXX  is standing in for two distinct I-D; the common convention is to use XXXX
> for this document, rather than 'this document' and then YYYY, ZZZZ etc for
> others - here, I would use YYYY for teas-te.

Authors> Ok

> k-shortest could do with a reference

Authors> We have looked for some references and found many papers which mainly described different algorithms that could be used for computing k-shorted paths as if the term is well-known.

Within IETF, we have found https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2386 which also references:

    [T88] D. M. Topkis, "A k-Shortest-Path Algorithm for Adaptive
    Routing in Communications Networks", IEEE Trans.
    Communications, pp. 855-859, July, 1988.

We are not really sure that this IEEE paper or RFC2386 would be a good reference for the definition.

Any opinion?

> /data-store/datastore/

Authors> Ok

> /multi domain/multi-domain/

Authors> Ok

> /setup/set up/ when this is a verb, set-up is the noun

Authors> Ok

> I think that  there is only the one path delete RPC but I see several different
> phrases that seem to refer to it - consistency is good (and capitalisation is
> good!)

Authors> Ok: we will use the term Path Delete RPC in -12 version

> Abstract
>
> YANG-based protocols
> I know of none such:-)  perhaps YANG-supporting or some such

Authors> The term "YANG-based protocols" is used in section 1.1 of RFC7950.

> s.1
> YANG, NETCONF, RESTCONF need references  and I would mention at this
> point that this is RPC-based

Authors> This is stated some paragraph below when describing the content of the draft:

   This document defines a YANG data model [RFC7950] for an RPC to
   request path computation, which complements the solution defined in
   [TE-TUNNEL], to configure a TE tunnel path in "compute-only" mode.

> s.2.1
> /depend from/depend on/

Authors> Ok: for consistency, done also in s.2.2

> /even this is/ even if this is/

Authors> Ok

> s.2.4
> /path computation to/path computation from/

Authors> Ok: for consistency, done also in s.3.2 and s.3.2.2

> s.3.2
> /computation by its own/computation on its own/ /to compute unfeasible
> path/to compute an unfeasible path/ /and accurate the TE//and accurate TE/

Authors> Ok

> s.3.2.2
> /is not good and need/is not good and it needs/

Authors> Ok

> /to get a suboptimal path that/     unsure perhaps /that/than/?

Authors> Proposed to rephrase as:

                                                                                                                there are
  more chances not to find a path or to get a suboptimal path than
  performing multiple per-domain path computations and then stitch
  them.

> s.3.3
> /major issues in case the time /major issues when the time /

Authors> Ok

> compute-only mode in the config data-store which datastore?  elsewhere you
> name the datastore

Authors> Ok: c/config data-store/running datastore/

> /can request to setup /can request the set-up of/ /computation requests
> /computation request/ /path that have been /path that has been /

Authors> Ok

> s.4
>   /not-synchronized /unsynchronized

Authors> Ok

> s.5.1
> /The YANG model permits to synchronize/The YANG model permits the
> synchronization of/

Authors> Ok

> including raw YANG seems odd - might be better in English with a line or two
> of explanation for each identity - I see this approach in yang-te-types

Authors> Ok

> s.5.2
> /It also allows to request in the input/It also allows the request in the input/

Authors> Not sure the change would be consistent with the intended meaning. What about rephrasing the text as:

   It also allows the client to request which information (metrics,
   srlg and/or affinities) should be returned:

> s.5.3
> 'is indented to be used'
> perhaps 'intended'- this occurs in several places

Authors> Ok

> / primary paths, or/ primary path, or/

Authors> Ok

> Since the IETF has expunged pagination, then it would be good to keep
> sections to a page or less, where this is technically feasible -  I know, diagrams
> make this difficult!.

Authors> It is a pity that pagination has been expunged. However, given the technical content of the draft and the diagrams, we think it is quite difficult to shorten the exiting sections.