Re: [Teas] TE SFCs discussion

Igor Bryskin <Igor.Bryskin@huawei.com> Mon, 23 January 2017 19:04 UTC

From: Igor Bryskin <Igor.Bryskin@huawei.com>
To: Vishnu Pavan Beeram <vishnupavan@gmail.com>, Daniele Ceccarelli <daniele.ceccarelli@ericsson.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 19:02:55 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.212.254.182]
Cc: Rajan Rao <rrao@infinera.com>, "Zhangxian (Xian)" <zhang.xian@huawei.com>, "xufeng.liu.ietf@gmail.com" <xufeng.liu.ietf@gmail.com>, "BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A (ATTLABS)" <db3546@att.com>, "Beller, Dieter (Nokia - DE)" <dieter.beller@nokia.com>, Xufeng Liu <Xufeng_Liu@jabil.com>, "Scharf, Michael (Nokia - DE)" <michael.scharf@nokia.com>, Tony Le <tonyle@juniper.net>, Himanshu Shah <hshah@ciena.com>, Vishnu Pavan Beeram <vbeeram@juniper.net>, Oscar Gonzalez De Dios <oscar.gonzalezdedios@telefonica.com>, "Khaddam, Mazen (CCI-Atlanta)" <Mazen.Khaddam@cox.com>, Italo Busi <Italo.Busi@huawei.com>, Tarek Saad <tsaad@cisco.com>, "teas@ietf.org" <teas@ietf.org>, "Belotti, Sergio (Nokia - IT)" <sergio.belotti@nokia.com>, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>, "Zafar Ali (zali)" <zali@cisco.com>, Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>, Anurag Sharma <AnSharma@infinera.com>
Subject: Re: [Teas] TE SFCs discussion

Hi guys

Last Friday I had a very interesting and useful discussion with Joel Halpern and Daniele,
.
First, Joel did recognize the importance and usefulness of SF-aware topology information. A few important uses cases came up during the discussion that I personally have never thought of.

Second, Joel expressed a preference for a controller to be able to collect data from multiple sources in accordance with separate simple narrowly focused models and assemble/relate the data in a local DB, rather than collecting data from a single data store governed by a single complex model. There are several reasons to that:

1)  the latter is not hopeless, but the former would require much narrower acceptance and lesser buy in from the industry for each of the involved model to succeed. Folks that only care about NSH may not want to deal with TE complexities (which in their minds may be somebody else's problem);

2)  IETF does not have expertise to cover all areas. For example, IETF does not have the expertise to formally describe NFs, their instances and components. It would be prudent to make use of the definitions developed by ETSI cloud applications folks, and would be wasteful to start doing this in IETF from scratch. I think Michael was saying the same thing. I also believe we have similar problems with policies: IETF does not have an expertise in defining declarative languages, for example, and that's why the policy models/interfaces work seems to be moving nowhere.

3)  Not everything has to be written in YANG. For example, ETSI NF definitions are written in TOSCA

My interpretation/takeout from this discussion is that SF-aware topology model does not have to be an augmentation/mount of TE or L3/L2 topology models. Instead it could be independent and have a single (top level) list, with the list elements containing:

·        [topology ID, node ID] pair (this would allow for an interested client to look up the node's topological attributes (as well as other TE, L3 or L2 topology information associated with the topology in question) independently using data collected via TE, L3, L2, etc. model based interface);

·        list of SF IDs associated with the node (again, the client would be able to look up SFs in the data structure containing SF descriptions defined, for example, by ETSI cloud folks in the form of TOSCA models);

·        list of SFF IDs associated with the node ( SFF descriptions could be looked up in the data structure defined by SFC WG YANG models);

·        SF connectivity matrix describing whether, how and at what costs the hosted by the node SFs could be locally chained and connected to the node's SFFs;

·        SFF connectivity matrix describing whether, how and at what costs the node's SFFs could be connected to the node's LTPs (link termination points) and TTPs (tunnel termination points) to create/manipulate SFCs over the network topology (i.e. spanning multiple nodes).

This IMHO would keep the model simple, focused, applicable to either or both TE or/and reachability (L3, L2)  network topology.

Would this make a better sense to you?

Cheers,

Igor