Re: [Teas] I-D Action: draft-nsdt-teas-transport-slice-definition-03.txt

Joel Halpern <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Mon, 13 July 2020 03:59 UTC

To: "teas@ietf.org" <teas@ietf.org>
From: Joel Halpern <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 23:59:32 -0400
Subject: Re: [Teas] I-D Action: draft-nsdt-teas-transport-slice-definition-03.txt

My thanks to the design team for the update to this document.  It is
much improved.

I a  unable to understand the third paragraph of section 4.1.2.  I do
not know what maximum occupancy refers to.  It seems to be talking about
some kind of notion of objectives applying to subsets of traffic within
a slice.  But I can't tell.

Appendix A.1 is labeled as discussion, and as such appears to be trying
to be informative rather than normative.  However, the last paragraph of
introduces things a customer may ask for (i.e. SLOs) that are not
described in the rest of the document, and do not actually seem to me to
be appropriate.  I wowuld ask that the last paragraph of section A.1 be
stricken.

Some minor comments:

At one point the SLA is defined (I believe reasonably)as the contract
5that describes the SLOs with the consequences for missing them.  Then
in section 4.1 it says "all SLOs combine to form the SLA".  Believe you
mean "form the objective portion of the SLA"  or "contribute to the SLA"
or something, since the contractual and consequence aspects of the SLA
are outside of the SLOs?

Given that availability is defined in terms of the other SLOs (quite
reasonable) and that some of those may not be directly measurable), it
seems that availability should itself be considered indirectly measurable?

nit - Given that the earlier text says that this is only an initial
list, there is no need to include a bullet in the aspects that says
"Other objectives could be specified".  It is true.  But has already
been stated above.

In section 4.2 on transport service endpoints, the text seems to say
that an endpoint has a specific kind of connectivity (P2P, P2MP, ...).
It seems perfectly valid for a single TSE to be using both P2P and P2MP
communication.  It seems rather odd to have to consider it to be two
TSEs.  From later text, it is the slice, not the endpoint, which as a
particular connectivity type.

I wonder if the "Transport Slice Realization endpoint" is useful?  Given
that many things are in both the sample TSE list and the sample TSRE
list, it is going to be hard to tell them apart.  And as far as I can
tell, the TSRE is internal to the transport, and therefore outside the
scope of this document?  The differentiation in the diagram that follows
the description does not seem to line up with the description, and
leaves me more confused.

Yours,
Joel