[Teas] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-teas-rfc3272bis-24

Shawn Emery via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Sun, 09 July 2023 05:37 UTC

From: Shawn Emery via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: secdir@ietf.org
Cc: draft-ietf-teas-rfc3272bis.all@ietf.org, last-call@ietf.org, teas@ietf.org
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 22:37:10 -0700
Subject: [Teas] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-teas-rfc3272bis-24

Reviewer: Shawn Emery
Review result: Has Nits

This informational track draft provides an up-to-date description of common
Internet traffic engineering concepts from the original RFC which was published
in 2002.

The security considerations section does exit and states that this draft
doesn't introduce any new security issues, which I agree.  The section
discusses the implications of when an attacker does compromise the control and
management protocols of TE networks.  This could lead to the adversary
diverting traffic to nodes controlled by the attacker, in which case the
privacy of the transmitted data can be compromised.  The traffic could also be
sent to the wrong place or slower network in order to perform a DoS of the
affected traffic.  The document doesn't prescribe mitigating steps for said
attacks.  I find this appropriate given the intent of this draft, which is to
describe a compilation of protocols.

General comments:

A well written and comprehensive document, however I mainly focused on the
changes from RFC 3272 to this draft.  Thank you for Appendix A.

Editorial comments:

s/example operating/example of operating/
s/Exampls/Examples/
s/netrok/network/
s/conforma/conforms/
s/determination of/determined by/