Re: [Teas] Network slicing framework : Issue #2 : How many connectivity matrices in a slice?

"Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com> Wed, 29 September 2021 16:35 UTC

From: "Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com>
To: "mohamed.boucadair@orange.com" <mohamed.boucadair@orange.com>, "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, 'TEAS WG' <teas@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 16:35:25 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.45.190.33]
Subject: Re: [Teas] Network slicing framework : Issue #2 : How many connectivity matrices in a slice?

Hi all,

Indeed this is interesting discussion and makes me to think about what constitutes a connectivity matrix.

In my understanding, a connectivity matrix firstly represents the demand of traffic flows between one sender and one receiver, or one sender and multiple receivers. Another attribute of the connectivity matrix is the expected SLOs of the traffic flows. The SLOs can usually specified using a set of parameters (e.g. bandwidth, latency, etc.)

Following this, if either the connectivity demand or the SLOs of two traffic flow demand are different, they should be described using different connectivity matrices.

On the other hand, I think we've agreed that within a network slice there can be multiple traffic classes, this is similar to what we have in a traditional non-sliced network.

Then for traffic flows which have the same connectivity demand (e.g. from A to B) but are marked with different traffic classes, perhaps they could be described using the same connectivity matrix, as long as this traffic matrix can incorporate multiple traffic classes?

The question is can we have multiple set of SLOs in a network slice, or are we actually talking about allowing different traffic classes in a network slice?

Best regards,
Jie