TELNET question

Lee Chastain <lee@huachuca-jitcosi.army.mil> Tue, 15 November 1994 20:44 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1994 11:00:03 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Lee Chastain <lee@huachuca-jitcosi.army.mil>
To: telnet-ietf@cray.com
Subject: TELNET question

I would like some help in understanding a situation I currently have
involving a TELNET test -

The tester sets up a TELNET server on a non-standard port (2300) for a
TELNET USER test.  The tester and the IUT are both SUN workstations; the
user is operating from a SUN-CMD cmdtool window.

I have noticed that when this implementation of TELNET connects to a
port other than 23, option negotiation does not take place, and the server
(being a tester) does not propose or request any options.

The problem arises out of a test for the handling of newlines; if I
understand correctly, the default newline under the conditions I've
outlined should be the <CR LF>.  However, the server sends just the <LF>
and the user TELNET Implementation Under Test (IUT) processes it as a
newline character.  I know that 0A <LF> is the native newline character
for these systems, but are they allowed by the TELNET protocol to default to
anything other than <CR LF> ?  Are all TELNET bets off because port 2300
was used?

Thanks, Lee Chastain.