Re: Telnet Option Codes

"Robert G. Moskowitz" <0003858921@mcimail.com> Fri, 16 April 1993 20:09 UTC

Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1993 19:43:00 +0000
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Robert G. Moskowitz" <0003858921@mcimail.com>
To: IETF TN3270E Working Group List <TN3270E@list.nih.gov>
Cc: telnet ietf <telnet-ietf@cray.com>
Subject: Re: Telnet Option Codes

Since I am  posting this message both to the TN3270 WG list and the TELNET WG
list, let me supply some background.

The TN3270 WG (charter in review by IESG) is working on a draft for an
experimental RFC for SNA printer support via TELNET (TN3287).  This RFC will
allow vendors to meet their customer needs while the 'full function' standards
track RFC is being prepared.

The sticking point for a TN3287 negotiation is it is not enough to negotiate a
terminal type, but a LU NAME must be assigned to this connection, typically
dedicated (a given client always gets a given NAME).  This implies a
sub-negotiation in the terminal type:

IAC SB TERM-TYPE IS IBM3287-2 CONNECT CP123456 IAC SE

The question is:  is there an existing subnegotion option in the Terminal Type
option that can be used where I have specified the word:  CONNECT (note:
IBM3287-2 would be a 'new' terminal type and in this case CP123456 is the
requested LU NAME).

Additionally, the full function RFC will start using the '3270 Regime' option
defined in RFC 1041 to specify terminal type and LU NAME association (we think
as of this point in space).  And so this subnegotiation would be used there.

That is the basic background.  I would like to have Cleve be able to finish his
draft early next week, so I would like to have some recommendations soon.  Cleve
is not on telnet-ietf@cray.com, so any responses to this, please CC him as well.

Bob Moskowitz
Chrysler Corp

Proposed chair of the proposed TN3270 WG