Re: [Terminology] We should avoid childish acronyms as well

Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net> Mon, 10 January 2022 11:28 UTC

From: Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 12:28:02 +0100
Cc: terminology@ietf.org, IAB IAB <iab@iab.org>
To: Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@hallambaker.com>
Subject: Re: [Terminology] We should avoid childish acronyms as well

Hi PHB,

Thanks for flagging the discussion below. I agree that we have to be careful when selecting acronyms and in the IESG there are often discussions about picking appropriate acronyms for working group which are on the one hand meaningful but also don’t suggest a wrong associations or even harass anybody. This is quite hard and sometimes we get it wrong.

For RFC3424, even if we can argue about the acronym (and please note that the mechanisms discussed are not NAT itself but mechanisms that have been developed to circumvent any unintended consequences of NAT), I don’t follow you argument that this document "is completely unprofessional and should never have been published” and as such also don’t see that making it historic would be adequate.

Also note that the status historic is used for specification with have "been superseded by a more recent specification or is for any other reason considered to be obsolete” (RFC2026). Not sure how to apply this to an IAB document. Also note that IAB documents are not IETF-consensus documents but merely documents that provide guidance to the community form the IAB at that time.

Mirja